A CoRe-Net Health Care Report
Coronary heart disease (CHD) is a widespread disease. Despite increasing preventive services and further developments in medical care in recent decades, CHD remains one of the most common diseases and causes of death in Germany. Everyday phrases such as “pouring out one’s heart” or “it breaks my heart” indicate a close link between the psyche and the heart. The reciprocal relationship between psyche and heart also means that mental disorders can be triggered by heart disease. An acute heart attack is a traumatic event and can trigger – perhaps for the first time in one’s life – fear of death. Based on this finding, which is supported by extensive research, national and international guidelines for the care of patients with CHD recommend screening for mental disorders. Depending on the need, this should be followed by appropriate treatment of the accompanying mental disorders. However, there is little research on whether these measures are implemented in practice.
CONTENT AND AIM
The second CoRe-Net Health Care Report focuses on the current healthcare situation of Cologne residents with CHD and a concomitant mental disorder. The aim is to derive recommendations for action from the scientific findings, through which the care of Cologne residents with CHD and a concomitant mental disorder can be further improved. Some of the study results and methodological notes have already been published in scientific journals by Peltzer et al. [1, 2] and Vennedey et al. .
Primarily, the report is intended for those responsible for the healthcare of people with CHD:
- to stakeholders from hospitals,
- (specialist) medical practices and practice networks, as well as
- therapeutic and rehabilitation facilities.
With this report, we would also like to address health insurance companies, associations, and municipal stakeholders. Patients and their relatives, as well as volunteers and associations such as self-help groups can also find relevant information in this report.
1. Peltzer S., Müller H., Köstler U., Blaschke K., Schulz-Nieswandt F., Jessen F., et al. (2019). Quality of health care with regard to detection and treatment of mental disorders in patients with coronary heart disease (MenDis-CHD): study protocol. BMC Psychol., 7(1):21.
2. Peltzer S., Müller H., Köstler U., Schulz-Nieswandt F., Jessen F., Albus C., et al. (2019). Detection and treatment of mental disorders in patients with coronary heart disease (MenDis-CHD): A cross-sectional study. PLOS ONE, 15(12):e0243800.
3. Vennedey V., Peltzer S., Shukri A., Müller H., Jessen F., Albus C., et al. (2019). Comparison of Patient and Proxy Assessment of Patient-Centeredness in the Care of Coronary Heart Disease: A Cross Sectional Survey Using the PACIC-S11.1. Journal of Primary Care & Community Health, 11:2150132720976235.